WHAT IS YOGA?
The art of yoga has evolved into many different styles and disciplines over thousands of years. Contrary to popular belief, yoga is more than just “a workout”. It is a holistic, individualized approach to life and has many benefits. Incorporating movement with breath, increasing self awareness, and strengthening the connection between the mind and body are just a few of the many aspects of yoga.
Practicing yoga regularly can be a great compliment to the quality chiropractic care you’re already receiving. When practiced on a regular basis, yoga can:
- Safely improve range of motion
- Increase overall strength
- Improve balance
- Relieve chronic pain
- Increase flexibility
- Lower stress levels
- Improve brain function
- Improve lung capacity
In addition to many other movements and techniques, the physical practice of yoga incorporates all seven movements of the spine, as follows:
- Flexion (curling in)
- Extension (backbending)
- Lateral flexion - Left (sidebending)
- Lateral flexion - Right (sidebending)
- Axial rotation - Left (twisting)
- Axial rotation - Right (twisting)
- Axial extension (lengthening)
There are hundreds of yoga poses each with multiple variations, and numerous modifications are available for beginners. Yoga poses can be practiced from these positions:
- Seated (on the floor or a chair)
- Supine (lying on the back, face up)
- Prone (lying on the belly, face down)
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING AN APPOINTMENT WITH SARA
- Sara will guide you through a personalized 60 minute sequence during every visit, appropriate to your fitness level and range of motion. Each sequence will incorporate breathwork, relaxation techniques, and movement involving the entire body (not just the spine). Please communicate how you’re feeling and don’t hesitate to ask questions during the appointment.
- Receive hands-on assists that ensure safe alignment and give you support in postures. Light massage techniques are used in certain poses to help relieve muscular tension and stress.
- See photo below to view the space and typical setup.